There are incredible numbers of protesters involved in the Black Lives Matters protests all over the USA and in other parts of the world. Millions of protesters are outraged and are protesting daily.
The significance for me is how many people are involved. This type of organization is amazing, in such a short time. That to me says that there is hope for our nation.
When people can band together to fight for a cause that the believe in, and put as much energy into it as the Black Lives Matter protests. I think that says that humans can do anything, even without the guidance and leadership of government.
Now a few things that do concern me, is that there are a lot of things to fix in our communities, that the government can not fix for us. I stated this in a recent facebook post, combined with a meme with a similar sentiment.
And maybe we can convince daddy’s to stay with mommies.
And we can stop killing each other (which is far more of a problem than police violence).
I mean there is something to be said about a well organized group of people. Now, lets do something positive with this!
Incredible numbers involved in the protests of the Black Lives Matter organization
I have stated these things before in a post that I made about the racist drug war.
There is a lot of black on black violence, and a lot of single mothers in the black community.
These are things that the government can not do a lot to fix.
This is the data from the FBI statistics;
“An analysis of ‘single offender victimization figures’ from the FBI for 2007 finds blacks committed 433,934 crimes against whites, eight times the 55,685 whites committed against blacks. Interracial rape is almost exclusively black on white — with 14,000 assaults on white women by African Americans in 2007. Not one case of a white sexual assault on a black female was found in the FBI study.”
Though blacks are outnumbered 5-to-1 in the population by whites, they commit eight times as many crimes against whites as the reverse. By those 2007 numbers, a black male was 40 times as likely to assault a white person as the reverse.”
There may be a way to narrow down the source of the decline of the African American Family, the stats come from before the welfare state until after it.
• In the 1890s, there were four public high schools in Washington D.C.; one black, the M Street School/Dunbar High School, and three white. In 1899, Dunbar averaged higher standardized test scores than students in two of the three white schools. From 1870 to 1955 Dunbar repeatedly equaled or exceeding performance on national standardized tests.
• As late as 1910 more than two-thirds of the black population of Chicago lived in neighborhoods where most residents were white.
• In 1950, 72 percent of all black men and 81 percent of black women had been married.
• Every census from 1890 to 1950 showed that black labor force participation rates were higher than those of whites.
• Prior to the 1960’s the unemployment rate for black 16 and 17-year olds was under 10 percent.
• Before 1960, the number of teenage pregnancies had been decreasing; both poverty and dependency were declining, and black income was rising in both absolute and relative terms to white income.
• In 1965, 76.4 percent of black children were born to married women.
The statistics since 1960 support this analysis.
• Between 1960 and 1964, blacks were rising into professional and other high-level positions at a rate greater than the five years following passage of the Civil Rights Act.
• The 1960 census showed the first signs of a decline in black marriages, with acceleration in later years.
• Since the 1960s the black labor force participation rates have been lower than whites and unemployment rates for black 16 and 17 year olds has never dropped below 20 percent.
• In 1980, 31 percent of all black first-born children were born to teenage mothers.
• By 1992, 54 percent-of all black children were living only with their mothers.
• From 1990 to 1994, 77 percent of first births to black women were premarital.
• In the 1980s and 90s, an absolute majority of those black families with no husband present lived in poverty.
• By the 2000s, 75% of blacks with a high-school degree or some college were not married.
• In 2005, Black people accounted for 13% of the total U.S. population yet they were the victims of 49% of all the nation’s murders; and 93% of black murder victims were killed by other black people.
• Less than half of black students graduated from high school in 2005.
• In 2009, 73% of black children were born to unmarried mothers.
• In 2012, blacks in New York constituted 78% of shooting suspects and 74% of all shooting victims even though they are less than 23% of the city’s population. Young black men in New York are 36 times more likely to be murdered than young white men.
• Today, black males between the ages of 14 and 17 commit homicide at ten times the rate of white and Hispanic males of the same age combined.
• In many urban areas, the black illegitimacy rate is well over 80 percent.
• The national unemployment rate for blacks is over 13%, nearly five points above the average for all Americans. And black teen unemployment is over 40 %.
People can blame oppression and racism for the problems in the black community.
But when there was more racism in this country, and when there were Jim Crow laws, the black community did a lot better. The difference seems to be when the government intervened with welfare post 1960, because that is when we see the decline of the African American family in the USA. Before 1960 there were far less single mothers, and far less criminal behavior. But post 1960s, after much welfare reforms and programs is when there was a major increase of single mother families, and lower employment in the African American community. It seems that a system of dependence may have replaced a community of independent and self sufficient people. Now mothers can make it in life without a father, and are financially rewarded with welfare benefits for having more and more children. Then these children grow up without a father figure, and that is why they tend to join gangs, looking for a male role model in life. That seems to be why there is so much crime and violence in the African American community.
A lot of people point to the drug war as being racist, but it is my opinion that people would not be getting caught with drugs, and would not be suspected of crimes, if there was overall less violence in the community.
These are things that humans can work on outside the reach and oversight of government.
I wrote this article several years back about the racist drug war;